Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Trio

My third post is here. I apologize for not having more Fun Quotes, but they will be back in full-force soon.
I hope everyone is ready to come kiss Arcadia Landing goodbye this weekend (it's this coming Saturday). Hopefully it will be a big show, because they deserve it. Providence Phoenix contacted me and asked me to write a little something about those guys, so I did. I would love it if they put the whole thing in the paper but I'm sure they won't.
Also, this Friday is our day to go into White Noise and finally listen to our new song "...And That's Goodbye" fully mixed. I'm anxious! Our plan is to try to debut it live on WBRU during the day sometime very soon. That would be a sick way to do it and hopefully a lot of new people will hear it. I really think it's a good solid, awesome song. We often write all over the place, and this song is probably going to be a little bit more influenced by stuff like "Enema"-era blink 182, and Reel Big Fish (not in a ska sense, but in a clean, harmony-laiden, pop-ish rock song sense). I think, anyways. Not to worry, punk-rockers, we are still a clusterfuck of influences so don't expect us to hit a style and stick to it. The stuff for the new album is VERY different than what we've previously done, so be prepared to continue to have us shake up any idea of us having a specific style. But yeah - I'm excited for the new song - haven't heard the recording yet, but the writing is great. And you can trust me, because I wrote it.
That Friday is also our scheduled meeting to talk to White Noise about our next album. We are really hoping to have them sign us for it. We love the people there, they love us, and we both feel we'd benefit from such active teams coming together. No confirmations or anything yet, but Friday is the day to figure it out. Basically, it will be the difference between them saying yes and us starting to write (which we should do), or them saying no and us saying "Oh shit. Now we have save up to pay for our van, AND the new album." We're really hoping for this to go down so cross your fingers.
Other surprises are coming up as well. But they, are, unfortunately, surprises. I will repeat none of that here.
I'm getting my wisdom teeth out around the second week of September so I will be out of it for a little, but, as you know if you read my last post, we will be returning to the studio to re-do five of our old songs in October. Still thinking of ways to release them. Again, comments/ideas are welcome.
I think S*D is going to be releasing these big vinyl stickers soon, so look out for that. We also want to do some new shirts, possibly "Tom's Not A Virgin Anymore" shirts. We're thinking there may be a demand for that kind of stuff. If you are interested in that, surely let us know.
Besides that, we are talking about a new video. Ideas are fluttering around but nothing is down on paper. That damn Sousa is hard to wrangle and (as you may know) we write all the videos together. He starts school again (I know - huge fag) next week, and is yet to pick out his classes.
That's all for now. Feel free to comment here, I will respond to each and every idea/comment/insult. I'd like to get a little community going, and we'd really like some fan feedback on the new ideas for stuff.
- chuckstaton

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you guys include Tom's Not A Virgin Anymore on your new album? Also, dyu have any idea yet what it will be called?

Chuck Staton said...

We won't be including it on the new album (we're probably not ever going to include any "joke" songs on our full-lengths), but I am hoping to record it at some point because so many people like it.
Hopefully, if we sign to White Noise, we'll be doing songs here and there for no reason, and hopefully Tom's Not will be one of those songs.
The new album's title, tentatively, is "The Great American Single"

Anonymous said...

Chuck - I can't believe you're polluting the internet with your filth, and that my mom's NetNanny let it through the filter. Please leave Rhode Island.

Anonymous said...

r u still seeling copies of "Who the hell is jake dady""

P.s how did it get that name?

Chuck Staton said...

To Bradley Stevenson - guess what? I had sex with your NetNanny and didn't even mind that she wasn't monitoring the 'net when I was doing it!

To Anonymous:
"Who The Hell Is Jake Dady" was a CD that we gave out for free - but no, we aren't still selling it OR giving it out for free. The tracklist was "Smile", "Ruby Soho" (Rancid Cover), "Wendy's" and "Ataxia". All those songs (besides "Ruby Soho") are available on our full-length "There Were Four Who Tried", and they are recorded much better on the full-length, so I'd say that'd be much better to have. Our "Ruby Soho" cover wasn't very good.
As for the name - when we came out, all the people from our hometown laughed at us. There were a bunch of small bands from the Bristol/Warren area who just thought we were retarded people in a retarded punk band. Everyone was very negative about us. So when "Who The Hell Is Jake Dady?" came out, we felt that, out of all the bands in the Bristol/Warren area (our hometown), we were doing the best, and the only ones actually putting effort into it.
One of our biggest retractors was a guy named Jake Dady, and we kind of used him to represent those people who were super-negative to us, and the fact that we felt they didn't do anything while we really worked at what we did and saw it pay off.
I think we promised his family we'd change the name (which didn't really matter, as they were hand-written CDs that we gave out for free) and I haven't talked to that person in quite a while. I just remember he did a lot of drugs and told the police that me and our ex-bassist would follow him around in our cars. I didn't even know what his car looked like.

Anonymous said...

What other songs dyu guys have that are "joke songs"? I live in Maine almost all year round so I can't attend any of your shows...Will you be putting that song Kevi wrote on ur new album??

Chuck Staton said...

Once in a while we'll do little humorous songs or "segues" into other songs that are funny things - "Tom's Not A Virgin Anymore" is one, and we used to do a segue song called "Tom's A Big Dumb Smelly Homo" (clever, right?). We don't have anything else really that's all humor-based, but I have a feeling that "Tom's Not A Virgin Anymore" will not be our last joke song.
The new song that we've done, which Kevin had originally wrote the chord progressions for, is going to be released only on a compilation CD called "The Scene II" from White Noise Records. As of right now, we're only planning on using it for this comp. I think that our next CD is going to be written more as a cohesive piece so we don't think it would really fit on the next CD. On top of that fact is that we really want to push the song now (meaning soon, when it comes out) as opposed to later on, so if we did include it on the album, it might simply feel like old news.
It's awesome to have a big fan from away who's interested in the stuff - forgive me for my lack of updates in the past week, I'm going to back doing it weekly starting today or tomorrow.